Thursday, April 17, 2008

6 a.m. wake up

Well let's see, exactly one week ago I was dreading a 20 minute run that was looming very large on my horizon. The morning of the run, I was so excited or wound up about the whole thing that I jumped out of bed at 6:00 am. I'm sure that a lot of people enjoy getting up on a Saturday morning and starting their weekend off right with a nice run. I AM NOT ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE. If I'm watching the sun come up, it's not because I enjoy a cup of coffee while I watch the sunrise, it's because I have had way too much to drink and I can't find my house. Now that I have told you exactly how I feel about early mornings let me tell you about my 6 am twenty minute run.

IT WAS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

Have you ever seen a sunrise? Have you ever seen one sober, while your running? It's incredible. For the first time in I don't know how long, I started a weekend doing something positive and non-destructive. I hope its not the last.

The run went fairly easy considering I haven't run for that long since high school. At one point my heart monitor hit 209 and this really freaked me out but my doctor said that I probably wouldn't die when this happened and sure enough I didn't. After I slowed my pace down enough to keep my heart in my rib cage I settled back and enjoyed the run.

The first time I looked at my watch it said I had been running for fourteen minutes. I was expecting it to say five or maybe even six minutes if I was lucky, so I was quite shocked to see that I had already completed well over half of my twenty minute run. I did look at my watch a lot during the last two minutes of my run, but it wasn't out of desperation to be finished, it was because I couldn't wait to celebrate the fact that I had run for a full 20 minutes.

I have another run slated for Saturday and I can't wait to see if I wake up at six am again. I'm not going to set my alarm or anything crazy like that but part of me hopes that I wake up early again.

On a side note, I signed up for my first 5k. It happens at the end of week 8 of my couch to 5k program which means that I'll be running my first 5k before I finish the 9 week program but what the heck, right now I'm feeling pretty good about it.

1 comment:

NB said...

Hey there,
good job starting off, it gets better with time.
Good luck with the program.
NB